Creating a 3:2 display from a 16:9 TV; and, What is Framen?

So now that I got my Memento 35" Smart Picture Frame working… I find myself wanting ANOTHER large 3:2 display—one strictly for digital photos taken in landscape (horizontal) format, the other exclusively for displaying pictures in portrait (vertical) orientation. One thing seems obvious— I will not be buying another Memento, since they went out of business.

Seems there are a growing number of hardware and software solutions aimed at converting simple monitors and/or TVs into digital picture frames, which is great. And so the hunt begins for a cost-effective build in which I convert a 4K panel (probably a 43" smart TV) from a 16:9 picture designed primarily for video to a 3:2 screen intended for digital still photography.

Among other things, this will involve cutting a matte that covers up about 6" of the longer dimension of the screen. In other words, with the display screen oriented horizontally (“landscape” configuration), the matte will block off about 3" of display on opposite (right and left) ends; it will not block out any of the top or bottom, however. That will convert the very rectangular 16:9 aspect ratio to a closer-to-square, 3:2 aspect ratio. Will also need to find or build a frame that can accommodate the large display and its even larger matte without slipping.

Next (or first, really) comes the challenge of finding/creating the hardware and software to resize (when necessary) images to fit exactly into the 3:2 window created by the matte, and handle the usual mundane chores of uploading and deleting images, etc.Sounds like OpenFrame is cut out for this job. But in poking around the 'web, I see other products devoted to the same cause—Dakboard for instance. And just recently I found a site called TheDigitalPictureFrame.com, where there was a “review” of a “software suite” called “Framen”, apparently designed to wirelessly control (via a smartphone app) with a large variety of wifi-equipped digital displays (linked here). Anyone have any real-life experience with this solution?

1 Like

That’s great. Looking forward to seeing what you are coming up with. In case you need some inspiration we’ve linked a couple of builds and a guide in the docs: https://docs.openframe.io/#monitors

I’m also working on a frame at the moment. I’m planning to write a guide on it later when it’s done, but here are a few photos of the process. I want to paint the front black.

Well, Openframe shows images display filling. I think most systems do that. The resizing happens on the GPU. As long as they are not crazy large you shouldn’t have to do any manual resizing.

If you are going to use Openframe, I think you should think more about where to store the images. At this stage, Openframe doesn’t host any images in contrast to other systems. More on this topic here: https://docs.openframe.io/#artwork Just want to avoid any frustration about this later on. That said, it would be great if someone would come up with new ideas about that or improve the process.

2 Likes