Install fault / running

Installed openframe seemed to install correctly. Type openframe to start (booted to command line) it states command not found. Run SU with root permission retype openframe and it gives no error just does nothing. Curious as to what I could have done wrong?

1 Like

Are you trying to set up a development environment?

The development section of the docs mentions you have to use npm start instead of openframe.

I wasn’t trying to, I just wanted one of my spare monitors to run rasberry and throw up some nice paintings and artwork for my office I’ll give this a try

In case you don’t actually want to develop any new features or fix something just follow the Getting started guide instead.

1 Like

Following the user guide didn’t work, however starting nmp start did get openserver to work, I could log in and I can push artwork to the PI, it looks like it receives it but only shows a white screen. :confused:

Sorry to hear you are experiencing issues. What exactly didn’t work for you? It would be good to know where we can improve the guide or if something, in particular, isn’t working.

To help you, it would be good to have some more information.

• Could you please share the link to the source of the artwork?
  • What artwork format are you using?
  • What model of the Raspberry Pi are you using?
  • What Raspbian version did you install?

Something you could try is to increase the GPU memory split, e.g. to 256MB. You can do this by running the Raspberry Pi config tool sudo raspi-config.
Another way to do this is to edit config.txt. You can read more on this here.

I hope this helps.

Originally installed via bash command, when I went to reboot and run it stated openfront command not recognized. If I logged in as root, it didn’t kick command not recognized but nothing happened. So I clean slated the whole rasberry and installed via the SD card install file, was able to log in and send pictures to the screen (however all images showed up as white). Rebooted and turned on autoboot, and then I could no longer do anything as it boots to a black screen. So I clean slated it again, erased the system and reinstalled to SD card and now no matter what I do openfront command not recognized, and nmp start command not recognized. Reinstalled openfront via bash command no errors seen, rebooted still unable to start openfront command not recognized. Taking a break for a while, this was a side project to make a wall mounted digital frame and it’s currently not worth the frustration.

Fair enough. I understand the frustration.

Openframe is a free and open-source project in an early stage and a side project for everyone involved too. The project initiators and maintainers are working and giving support in their spare time. We can grow and improve this project together.

Regarding your issues this is what comes to my mind:

Command not found issue

Can you please confirm you have used openframe as the start command? I’m asking as you have repeatedly written “openfront”. That could be a reason for a “command not found” error. In case this is reproducible, it would be useful to know what model of the Pi this happens with, so someone can get to the bottom of it. I’ve never had this issue before.

Autoboot issue

Taken from the docs:

If you choose to autoboot (the default), holding n during startup of the Pi will bring you to the command line instead of launching Openframe.

White screen issue

That said, it sounds very much like an issue with the GPU memory and the image extension. So I highly recommend trying what I’ve posted earlier:

1 Like

Sorry very tired , yes I was typing openframe, my phone auto corrected and I didn’t catch it. I was following the docs for install using the regular bash curl install, and then the doc to load the premade rasberry SD configuration.
I changed the gpu to 512 after the white screen picture load, however not sure if this would fix the white picture issue because I could never get that far again after I turned autoboot on and had to reinstall to fix that and consequently could not get that far in the install. I can send any debug commands if you would like, or version information. I’m going to clean slate if again over the weekend and try again. Also holding N did absolutely nothing during boot.

This is very unusual.

What model version of the Raspberry Pi are you using?

In the meantime, we’ve released a new version for the controller for Raspberry Pi. It fixes a couple of things and gives clearer error messages which should make it easier to figure out what is going on. The docs are also updated. There are some example artworks you can use to test your installation.

You may want to give it another try.

I’ve tried this again and you are right. It’s not always working. I assume it’s important to start pressing when all of these green [ OK ] messages are rushing through, not earlier. Then when lot’s of nnnnnnnnnnnns are visible on the screen stop holding and press CTRL + Cto show the regular shell input.

You should also be able to remove source ~/.openframe/autoboot.sh from the ~/.bashrc file to stop auto-booting permanently. There is no easier way to adjust this at the moment.

1 Like