RPi 4 Installation Issues

First, let me say that I absolutely love openframe and always wow my guests with the frame I built. Truly outstanding stuff. It was running perfectly on an RPi3b+, but I have a need to free that up and use the RPi4 that isn’t cooperating with my arcade cabinet in my art frame. When I try to run openframe, I receive the error, “inappropriate ioctl.” Did some research and set it to run on CLI and now I’m getting a black screen. So far, the RPi4 seems to be more trouble than it’s worth on the two projects I’ve tried to use it for. What do I need to do to get it to cooperate with openframe?

Edit: Found this and followed the instructions to create a new image. Am now receiving “Temporary failure in name resolution.” Have triple checked the wpa_supplicant.conf file and everything looks OK.

Thanks!

Hi @Funkenstein. I’m glad you like and use the platform.

As mentioned in the docs Raspberry Pi 4 is experimental.

What do you want to display with Openframe / what extensions do you need to use?

If you like to use images or shaders you are currently out of luck, I think. For some reason, there is a problem with glslViewer at the moment which those extensions are based on. But you can try, of course. I hope soon we can decouple artwork formats from extensions. That would allow using a different extension to display images, like VLC or website (chromium).

Everything else should be working okay.

I’ve can’t remember to have seen the error messages you are describing before.

“inappropriate ioctl.”

Could you please describe in more detail what exactly you were doing (via SSH or directly attached keyboard, what steps did you take and what commands did you use)?

“Temporary failure in name resolution.”

That seems unrelated to Openframe. I recommend you to follow the Getting Started Guide in the docs, install latest Raspbian and use a directly attached keyboard to avoid SSH trouble.

Generally for Pi4, I would recommend trying the experimental version that runs Openframe in desktop mode. More on this here. Install by running: bash -c "$(curl https://gist.githubusercontent.com/jvolker/6a0c03289049ebf78969726a7dd39247/raw/)" and make sure you switch to (or stay in) desktop mode instead of CLI. Especially on the Pi4 I experienced far less trouble using this instead of the standard version.