Twitter / Giphy / Instagram/ … extension

There is so much cool artwork done by people shared on Twitter. It would be amazing to have a Twitter extension displaying tweets.

As a start cycling through the liked Tweets of one Twitter account would be great. It could be filtered by tweets that come with an image/animation. Another idea would be to display the text using a nice font.

An alternative could be to add single tweets to your private Openframe feed.

The same applies to other services like Giphy or Instagram.

How complex would it be to achieve this?

I just realised www.openprocessing.org have updated to p5.js which is the JavaScript version of Processing. This would be another amazing source of great artwork.

An extension (or individual extensions) for adding work from these services would be cool. Others have asked about adding from Tumblr in the past. Could work in a few ways, e.g. by reading e.g. a URL to the tweet or post in question and extracting the relevant content, which would be the simplest from the end-user perspective but would require more maintenance by the extension developer. You could also make an extension that uses the Twitter API, allowing someone to e.g. ‘follow’ a twitter user via Openframe and display whatever their latest tweet is.

Any of this is possible with the extension system for Openframe, however it would require some development… complexity would depend on the exact functionality desired.

Thanks for your reply.

reading e.g. a URL to the tweet or post in question and extracting the relevant content, which would be the simplest from the end-user perspective

I think, this would best be done using a web clipper browser extension, once it exists. Then the user could select how to display the post. Tweets, for example, can be text, images and/or videos. Maybe a user is interested only in a part of it and can select it via the UI of the web clipper. It would then be imported into the collection using the appropriate artwork format.

an extension that uses the Twitter API, allowing someone to e.g. ‘follow’ a twitter user via Openframe and display whatever their latest tweet is.

Yes, I think this would be great too. If there is an option to control the plugin from within the web app it would be really convenient for the user.

Do you think it would be best to combine all of those APIs into one “social” extensions? Maybe we could list all relevant services here to figure out if this makes sense and what would be a suitable name for the extension:

OpenProcessing: HTML

Twitter: text/photo/video/GIF

Giphy: GIF/Webp/mp4

Not yet checked:

Instagram

Facebook

Youtube
Vimeo

Tumblr

Pinterest

Flickr

I imagine this to be based on Chromium writing a Javascript client using a local website as almost all services have JavaScript libraries for their APIs available?

I’ve never written an open-source application using an API of commercial services. How is API access and keys usually handled in those cases?